State of Origin Game 3 Wrap & 2019 Series Odds Update
State-of-Origin – Game 3 Wrap – July 11 2018
Proving there is absolutely no such thing as a dead-rubber in State of Origin, the Queensland Maroon (QLD) defeated the New South Wales Blues (NSW) in Game 3 of the 2018 Origin series. NSW won the Origin series in two closely-contested games, however, QLD replied on their spiritual home of Lang Park to send out inspirational skipper Billy Slater a winner on his retirement.
Widely considered to be the best fullback to have ever played the game, Slater enjoyed an eventful end to an accomplished representative career, as Queensland dug in deep for an 18-12 win to honour the outgoing great.
Game 3’s Key Moments
- Queensland dominated possession for the first 30 minutes, completing at more than 90 per cent and having more than 70 per cent of the ball at one stage.
- Two intercepts helped shape the game, one to QLD flyer Valentine Holmes to give his side the lead, followed by one to NSW speed machine Tom ‘Turbo’ Trbojevic.
- Despite dominating field position and possession, QLD went to half-time 12-8 in arrears on the scoreboard.
- After half-time, Cameron Munster carved up the Blues defence from a standing start to offload to Gavin Cooper who found half-back Daly Cherry-Evans to score under the posts.
- A nerve-wracking final 20 minutes saw the QLD Maroons defend their line desperately, determinedly and successfully so, to triumph 18-12.
- Billy Slater emotionally received the Wally Lewis Medal as player of the 2018 series, a feat made all the more remarkable as he missed the first match in Melbourne through injury. Watch his life story;
2019 State of Origin Odds
With NSW debuting a young team of strong, fast and determined champions in 2018, bookmakers have already declared them favourites to win the 2019Series.
Whether QLD or NSW are your team, show your support and get the best early odds for 2019 now.