Rating the Teams Most Likely to Win the 2018 World Cup
Australia have qualified for the World Cup 2018, and once in the finals, any team can win it and be declared overall winner. We’re confident the Socceroos can progress from its Soccer World Cup group stage. Can they go even further, defy everyone’s betting expectations, and win World Cup 2018?
Current betting (odds from Sports Betting site, Bookmaker.com.au) has the Socceroos at $251 to win the trophy and there’s some interest from betting fans on Australia to take out the World Cup in 2018. If you fancy a bet on Australia to win Group C, you can get a very attractive $13.00 through the CrownBet Sports Betting site.
Socceroos’ Major Rivals for Glory
Standing in Australia’s way to make it through to be declared group winner or overall winner at World Cup 2018 are several long-term soccer powerhouses in Germany, France, Brazil, Spain and Argentina.
We examine the Socceroos main rivals for World Cup 2018 and take a closer look at the form, betting, odds and predictions of all the usual suspects and main contenders.
World Ranking: 36
Betting Odds by: Betstar $251
Prediction: Quarter Final
Once through to the knockout stages, any side can win the World Cup, so, can Australia progress through to the second round?
There is a real chance this time (unlike the Spain, Chile, Holland Group-of-Death in 2014) and with that comes a different Australian attitude at Russia 2018. A draw against France is achievable, meaning the Socceroos should aim for three points against Peru and at least a draw against the Danes.
Three Reasons Australia can win World Cup 2018:
- Nobody expects them to.
- All-time national Top Scorer Tim Cahill will want to retire on a high.
- “All our dreams can come true,” said Walt Disney, “If we have the courage to pursue them.”
World Ranking: 1
Betting Odds by: Ladbrokes $5.50
Group Rivals: Mexico, Sweden, South Korea
Three Reasons Germany can win World Cup 2018:
- Class and depth across the park.
- Talented youngsters vying for spots in the team.
- Joachim Löw – the best coach in international football.
World Ranking: 9
Betting Odds by: CrownBet $6.50
Group Rivals: Denmark, Peru, Australia
Three Reasons France can win World Cup 2018:
- On the way up, France are a young side yet to peak.
- With endless amounts of first-rate-players to choose from in every position, coach Didier Deschamps faces a headache just trimming down a 23-man squad.
- Last two World Cups played in Europe – 1. A France win 2. A Final place
World Ranking: 6
Betting Odds by: Bet365 $7.50
Group Rivals: Portugal, Morocco, Iran
Three Reasons Spain can win World Cup 2018:
- Energetic new coach in Julen Lopetegui.
- Great blend of experienced and young players.
- The essence of what made Spain successful in the early 2010s remains.
World Ranking: 4
Betting Odds by: William Hill $9.00
Prediction: Quarter Final
Group Rivals: Nigeria, Croatia, Iceland
Three Reasons Argentina can win World Cup 2018:
- The greatest player alive, Lionel Messi, could win the World Cup off his own boot.
- Sergio Agüero is overdue to translate club form into international form.
- Its now or never for Argentina.
World Ranking: 2
Betting Odds by: Betfair $5.50
Group Rivals: Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia.
Three Reasons Brazil can win World Cup 2018:
- Revenge for their 7-1 thrashing by Germany in 2014.
- Coach Tite’s 4-1-4-1 formation accommodating Neymar on the left, Casemiro in front of the backline and Gabriel Jesus in the centre of attack.
- Doing it for the retiring legend-in-waiting, Dani Alves.