England vs Croatia: Predictions, Betting Tips & Odds
Here we go again as England face Croatia for the third time in five months with victory on the mind of Gareth Southgate’s men as they seek revenge for their World Cup exit.
Croatia head to England for the first time since their 5-1 thumping at the hands of the Three Lions back in 2009 but can expect a less than warm welcome after dumping England out of the 2018 World Cup at the semi-final stage.
The pair have met since that July showpiece with the two sharing the points in a rather drab 0-0 in the Nations League in October.
Since that defeat of England in Russia, Croatia have gone off the boil somewhat having won only one of the following five matches (and that win was a friendly against Jordan) and were hammered 6-0 by Spain in the Nations League.
Zlatko Dalić’s men appear to still be suffering a World Cup hangover and the signs are good for England especially after a morale boosting win over Spain in their last Nations League contest.
The signs look good for more Three Lions success against a side who have not picked up an away win since beating England in the World Cup in July and have conceded seven in just two away games since the summer showpiece.
Expect some English sweet revenge at Wembley with the Three Lions snatching an impressive 3-1 win.
- Both teams to score
The last encounter between the pair was the first time since 1996 that no goal had been scored between these two with four of the last five head to head seeing goals at both ends.
- England to score over 2.5 goals
The Three Lions have netted 10 goals against Croatia in their last three home games against them and after putting three past Spain, look a good bet to hit the high notes once again.
1 x 2 Odds
Head to Head
England’s defeat to Croatia at the 2018 is World Cup has been well documented, so we will gloss over that, but the sides did meet in October when a stale 0-0 was shared.
Croatia’s last trip to England resulted in a 5-1 stuffing at the hands of the Three Lions in a World Cup qualifier in 2009 with the overall record standing at four wins for England, three for Croatia and two draws.
- This is the third meeting between the pair in just five months.
- Croatia dumped England out of this summer’s World Cup at the semi-final stage but lost to France in the final.
- England manager Gareth Southgate has called up four uncapped players to the England squad for the game against Croatia (Marcus Bettinelli, Alex McCarthy, Lewis Dunk and Callum Wilson).
- The two sides played out a 0-0 in Rijeka as recently as October in the Nations League.
- Croatia beat England at Wembley in 2007 to end the Three Lions hopes of qualifying for Euro 2008.